Welcome!



When discussing theology, I've come to realize that not only is personal study of doctrine a necessary component to faith, but it is something that shouldn't be kept to oneself. I want to share my journey, both past and ongoing, into the realm of theology. Through this, I hope that you will gain insight into the Christian faith as a whole. Before reading anything else, I suggest you read the introduction and definitions (found in the pages tabs above) so you may better understand where I am coming from in everything I write. Because many of my posts are on heresies, there is also a page above with a family tree of heresies and links to all the posts I have so far on the topic.

11 February, 2013

Lent is coming!

This Wednesday, 13 February, marks the beginning of Lent--Ash Wednesday.  It falls on my mom's birthday this year (happy birthday, mom!).  Lent (and Holy Week) is my favorite season in the church year.  Lent is a time of penitence and reflection.  Purple, the liturgical color for this season, is a reminder of that penitence.

To focus us on what was given for us in the culmination of this season--Good Friday--many often "give up" something for Lent, something that they would normally do, use, eat, etc. so that every time you think about it, you also pause to think about what Lent means and signifies.  In addition to giving something up for Lent, I also try to pick up a good habit.  So, this year for Lent, what I'm doing is...

  • Giving up Facebooking from my phone (which is where I do a majority of my Facebooking)
  • Renewing my study of Koine Greek (starting with reviewing the basics, which I already sort of know, and then doing the next best thing to immersion (since it is a dead language)--translating, beginning with Romans, because it is my favorite book of the Bible and I'm ambitious like that)
  • Attempting to get myself into good exercising habits
Hopefully you will reap the benefits of my Greek study as I chronicle it on here (to help keep me accountable).  Passing on any resources you know of that might benefit my learning would be appreciated.

A blessed Lent season to you all!

No comments: