Welcome!



When discussing theology, I've come to realize that not only is personal study of doctrine a necessary component to faith, but it is something that shouldn't be kept to oneself. I want to share my journey, both past and ongoing, into the realm of theology. Through this, I hope that you will gain insight into the Christian faith as a whole. Before reading anything else, I suggest you read the introduction and definitions (found in the pages tabs above) so you may better understand where I am coming from in everything I write. Because many of my posts are on heresies, there is also a page above with a family tree of heresies and links to all the posts I have so far on the topic.

29 July, 2013

Heresy of the Week: Mohammedanism

I am largely including this in my list because it is listed in the Book of Concord as a heresy.  What say you as to its status as a heresy?
Mohammedanism: Mohammedanism is listed by Lutherans as a heresy in the 1530 Augsburg Confession. While Islam is not usually considered a Christian heresy, there is some significant evidence suggesting a link to Arianism, and that Mohammed likely based what he used in the Qu’ran from the Bible out of an Arian Bible. Clearly, the Islamic view of Jesus is in line with Arianism by denying His deity. Since they deny the Trinity, this is also an antitrinitarian heresy.

3 comments:

DoctorD said...

I wouldn't have thought of Islam as a Christian heresy, but you make a good argument for at least a direct lineage.

John said...

Historically, Islam is seen as a heretical sect, but these days I'm not so sure. Muslim nations especially hold their religion as a tool of the state. In Dubai, for example, the ministry of Islamic affairs tells the imams each week what the topic of their sermon will be. So it goes far beyond false teaching to encompass a complex of paradigms that we would find foreign.

Sarah M. Arnold said...

At least in its current form, Islam is more of a totalitarian political system than a religion.